Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas, New Years, and Michael Jackson

Christmas has come and gone, and now I looked forward to a new year and a new decade. I spent the very nice holiday with 5 friends, and my new dog Bob, at my friends house here in Tenkodogo. We made burritos, sushi, and drank some delicious West African beer. The best presents I got this year, a new puppy and a visit by my fellow Peace Corps Guinea Volunteer, Obden, who was taking a trip to see me and Phil from his new post in Benin.


But alas, that is old news, and as this time of year always goes, it's out with the old and in with the new. I am going to Ouagadougou for New Years for what will hopefully be a very fun filled evening with what I estimate to be 50+ fellow volunteers and friends. It should be a very good time. But more than just New Years and its festivities, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on 2009.


2009 was a chaotic year for me, and a very important one as well. Outside of seeing President Barack Obamas inauguration and all the change that has brought, 2009 was a dramatic year of change for me personally. After breaking my knee cap on January 6th, my whole life 360d, sending me into what eventually became one crazy roller coaster ride in parts all over the world. After being denied a post in Uganda, I have seen the West Coast of the USA, lived in three different countries in West Africa, and through it all I have grown up more than I thought possible.


While I won't go into many details, much of it is too personal even for my blog, I wanted to say thank you to everyone and every thing that had an impact in my life this year. It was a fantastic year to be Dylan Butler, and I would not trade any of it for anything.


2010 of course brings a whole new set of challenges. I have now been at site for almost a month, and I begin to teach in less than two weeks. For better or for worse, it's about time to begin a job. That brings out unaccoutable stress, but it's my job and I am ready to step in and help my school in any way I can. They gave me a house with power and water, the least I can do is teach a few classes. To everyone else, may this decade be as interesting and healthy for you as it was for me. Life is a great experience and it never stops, so just enjoy it.


So why Michael Jackson you ask? Well he did die this year, as the whole world knows. No no, you must check out the new addition of TIME magazine this week, there is a photo taken by my friend Kevin Roche that was published, it's Peace Corps Guinea doing the thriller dance, and I'm in it! Well I don't know if I'm in the photo, but I was there, doing the dance! So please, someone send it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment