Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Six Months in the Peace Corps

Yes that is correct. It is written. I have been in the Peace Corps and West Africa for six months. I have survived stomach problems, a wild rash, an evacuation, a new site, and a very needy puppy. Not only that, this period marks the longest time that I have spent away from home. Thailand had to give up that throne sooner or later.

And through all of this, I am still here. Still here and very healthy. Heck, even my knee is feeling 100%. One year ago, for those who remember, I cracked my knee cap essentially cancelling my service in Uganda and sending me on this wild journey to where I now type this blog entry, Tenkodogo.

I am very happy to be here typing this to you, world. My journey to this point has taken me on a ride that I will never forget and that only a few people ever have the chance to experience. This adventure has made me proud of who I am and has increased the bonds of friendship between me and many of my friends. The temptation to leave, to return to the familiar, has been there--believe me--but I stuck it out, and as a result I am 1/4 of the way through.

Before I get into stories of my Christmas, I wanted to apologize to you. I have failed in getting you any pictures It's not that I have not taken any. In fact, it's quite the contrary. I have filled up three memory cards, two of which are safely at home, in the USA. I have learned to be patient in the Peace Corps, very patient, but even my adapted Peace Corps patience has its limit, and it wears thin at the "uploading pictures through Burkinabe internet" point. You can blame my parents if you would like, CONVICE them to post my photos for me. American internet is so wonderful, you have no idea.

So a little about my last month, as I just now realize that my last post was really that long ago. It's amazing at how time passes here. Everyday just blends togethor. You think that you have done nothing and that time is going at a snail's pace, and then you check your watch and all of a sudden you have been in West Africa for six months. Enough rambling.

I spent Christmas here in Tenkdogo with a few other visiting Volunteers and some Japanese JICA Volunteers. One of my friends even visited from Benin, a fellow G-Vac'er (It's what us Guinea evac volunteers call ourselves). I now owe him a visit. How unlucky for me, having to go to Benin and hang out on the beach in the country that created Voodoo. *Sigh* I guess I will manage. We made burritos and sushi, drank lots of different beer, made Christmas decorations, and even listened to Christmas music. It was a great Christmas despite it being the first Christmas away from home.

Highs and lows of Christmas-

Highs: Got a puppy. He looks like a tiger. And to save my mother from the questionning of "what type is it?," there are no types here. He is an African mutt.

Lows: Avatar. That movie really sucked. Maybe if I had seen it in theatres instead of on a laptop I would have a different opinion, but as a movie, it was awful. Plot has been done countless times. This movie reaffirms that CG does not make a good movie. Oh and that blue thing making love to another blue thing? What is that about? Totally not cool.

Shifting gears: New Years. New Years was very different from Christmas. While Christmas was very relaxed, New Years was wild. Forget the dancing at the outside night club until 5 am, Chez Simon, a bar at the heart of Ouaga's hotel district, was the rowdiest place I have ever been. Right at the strike of midnight, Chez Simon became a warzone. People were lighting of fireworks everywhere, shooting bottle rockets from hands and from car windows, exploding aerial fireworks on the ground like land mines, and generally blowing stuff up with no regard to anyone's safety. I'm actually suprised nobody was hurt. Despite all of this, it was a grand ol' time.

Fast forward to now. Life has returned to normal. I am back at site after completing yet another training last week. Bob, my puppy (think Bob Dylan), is happy and healthy and no longer pees on my apartment floor. And I am gearing up for two different events. Teaching, the being the most important, still has not started. This time around, however, I have stuff to do in place of teaching. I am busy fixing the computer lab and am in the process of forming a computer group to serve as a treasury for new computer parts and as a training center for several highly motivated students and teachers to learn computer maintanence. I am by no means an expert, but in this last month I have become very saavy with basic repair. I am also continuing with the English club. Despite this, I won't teach a formal class until the start of the next semester. And as usual, I have no idea when that is.

The second event: I am gearing up to travel to Dakar to play in the annual West African Invitational Softball Tournament (WAIST). Peace Corps Guinea/Mauritania have entered an evac team (both Peace Corps were evacuated last year) and I expect to play. The tournament consists of embassy teams, Peace Corps teams, NGO teams, and any others generally interested in playing. It is supposed to be a very entertaining event, and I, along with 8 other Burkina Faso Volunteers, are excited to be making the journey in February.

So that's it from my neck of the woods. As some of you may notice, I have updated my address. You can now send letters and packages to Tenkodogo directly, bypassing Ouagadougou. I left both address up. Also, you may notice a weather report. This was for my buddy Petar, who enjoyed rubbing in my face the snowfall that hit DC last month. So when it's bitter cold in DC, this serves as a little piece of friendly revenge to you Petar.

Best of luck everyone from me and Bob!

1 comment:

  1. Hat's off to any country that will Tolerate Dylan for more than a month. I saw Dr.Reidy and he hwas happy To hear that you were doing well in the peace core and he sends his regards. Remember to karaoke before each softball game.

    Andre'

    ReplyDelete