Saturday, April 3, 2010

A week of Domes, Rubix Cubes, and Togo

So my vacation has ended, but what a vacation it was. I travelled all the way to the west to see the Domes and Waterfalls of Burkina, to Ouaga for a Rubix-Cube themed party, and to Togo for an amazing beach vacation. I will not go into details of the Rubix Cube party, but let's just say that it involves lot of colorful clothing.

I will however, discuss the other two parts of my vacation.

I went to the Southwest to help out with a Girls HIV/AIDS training and soccer camp. It such an amazing event put on by four other Volunteers that I almost felt like I crashed the whole thing. But I don't feel too bad about it, I got to sport a donated pink referee jersey and get back to my referee past. For "field trips" we got to see the waterfalls of Burkina (nothing special) and the Domes. The Domes, however, were amazing and deserve a second trip. They are naturally formed cliffs that are shaped like domes, or free standing columns, that are said to have been formed by the ocean a long time ago. Don't know about the second part, but they are an awesome spectacle that proves that even Burkina Faso can have cool geography.

Rubix Cube--skip that part. Send me an email if you are really interested (Hint hint).

Now onto the last part, Togo.

It started with a bus trip from hell with salami sandwiches, and ended with a bus trip from hell without salami sandwhiches. A total of about 40 hours spent on 2 busses (that's traveling in West Africa for you).

But in between was heaven, a vacation unlike any other I have ever taken. 7 Volunteers and I stayed at a beach side hut resort for 4 dollars a night where the staff would wait on us hand and foot. Fresh fish to eat, delicious. Boat ride in the ocean, done. Some haggler annoying us and we dont want him, gone. One volunteer had his camera stolen. No probem, the staff of Chez Antoine got it back. Palm trees lined this beautiful beach facing the Atlantic Ocean, and cold beer on demand. Oh, we even taught our host about beer pong, he loved it!

In short, it was a wonderful vacation. No crazy stories (minus the boat ride) making it a very relaxing time at the beach. I certainly plan on going there again, if I can tolerate the horrid bus rides on the outside of the sandwich.

I will leave you with a quote spoken by some random Finnish man that approached us at dinner the first night. And my friend's very hilarious response to this awkward question.

Random Finnish guy, "Are you volunteers, or sexual tourists?"

PCV friend, "Can't we be both?"

No comments:

Post a Comment