Wednesday, September 29, 2010

And Now We Begin...Again

Back in May I believe I told all of you that I had a VERY long summer vacation. Well 4 months ago I was exactly correct and 3 trips to Ghana, visits from my best friend Chris and my parents, and a 272km bike ride later, I find myself back in Tenkodogo gearing up for Year 2.

And boy what a schedule has my school laid out for me. This year I have 2 6eme (equivalent to 7th grade) math classes for a grand total of 10 hours a week. No sweat right? WRONG! It just so happens that with serious school shortages in all outlier villages of Tenkodogo we now have to take in far more students than we can possibly hold. I have 260 students, in 2 classes of math. Imagine back in your 7th grade algebra or pre-algebra classes and now imagine sitting in that same class room with 129 other students. And most class rooms at Alice Deal Junior High, my middle school, were larger than my lovely classrooms here at Lycée Rialé de Tenkodogo. Kids here will literally be 4 heads to a desk.

But honestly, last year I had 105 students; is there really any difference between 105 and 130? It just means more grading, and less time for computers.

It has become clear to me that while computer education is a neccessity here in Burkina Faso, it has not yet taken hold. And when you combine that with a shortage of math teachers and overage of students, my computer work takes a backseat. I will still be in charge of the room, but this year will be a lot different. I hope to have students acting in my place as lab assistants giving me time to perhaps orgainze two or three serious computer classes. Last year, by offering free classes to all, ended up completely failing for two reasons: one) students were far to numerous and two) students did not care at all for the classes since they were not graded nor did they pay for them. I hate to say it, but students who pay for classes will come since there is an actual investment on their part.

So there you have it. 10 hours of math class a week and a still evolving computer camp-MORE TO COME!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
In other fun news, Kirstin and I just finished a weeklong computer camp with students in her village of Komtoega. Her village is far different than mine-for starters it is less than 5000 people and has no running water or electricity. Very few people have been educated past elementary school and French is almost nonexistent. Except for a few government health workers and teachers, she must survive speaking Bissa, the langauge of Komtoega.

Students, however, have a basic understanding of French and it was for them that we decided to do a computer camp. The lab is equipped with solar panels and fully networked-it's AMAZING! An American company called Inveneo installed 22 top notch computers and they run beautifully-unlike the awful computers from the Stone Age that run in my computer lab.

We split it up in two groups, one for boys and one for girls. Girls were mostly younger and participants in Kirstin's girls club, and the boys were older most being in high school. It was blast. We taught them a crash introductory course in Microsoft Word and Excel as well as basic functions of the computers. Some members of the community even participated for a day or two including the local stonemason, Koran teacher, and pharmacy worker.

But the highlight of all was lasanga. Yes, you heard it, Kirstin made lasanga. And it was awesome. But the story of the lasanga is even better. Kirstin's gas ran out on us at the beginning of the camp, so we had to use a charcoal grill and dutch oven. Who says you need modern appliances to make great cuisine?

So I leave you all and hope that your return to school and work has been going well; you will be sure to be informed about my crazy year #2 coming up!

Last but not least, the soccer team of secondary education has it's next soccer game on Sunday against the police and gendarmerie team-and it will also be my debut! That's right, my first official soccer game in one year and a half will played this Sunday, and I am thrilled.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the shout out homie. Sounds like quite the school year you got comin up. Can't wait to hear more about it. Tell your neighbor I said Hi.

    ReplyDelete