Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dylan is Burkina Bound

So after an emotional 3 weeks in Mali, I have discovered my new placement. Dylan is going to Tenkodogo, Burkina Faso. I will be teaching IT at the local high school to students in grades 6-12.

A little about Tenkodogo, or at least what I know. I am taking a full 360 from lush Tormelin steamy jungles to the hot savannah. My town is also not a town, it is a sprawling city, a regional capital. There are 40,000+ people in my city, and there is even an airport according to Google Maps. That's not saying much of course, but it's exciting nevertheless.

Burkina, no doubt about it, is hot. Perhaps one of the hottest countries in the world. While I'm not the biggest fan of saunas, I am very excited of my job, and the prospect of being so close to many bordering countries. Ghana, Togo, and Benin are all within a day's drive. I'm hoping to take a trip to Benin for New Year's because I now have a buddy being placed there as well. Beaches there are supposed to be top notch.

Oh and the last big thing, Burkina Faso is a stable country, a nice change from the political turmoil in Guinea.

While I will deeply miss Guinea and all of the good friends that I made during my 3 months over there, I'm excited to start anew in Burkina and make a new set of friends. Hell if there is one thing that I know I can do, it's make the most of any situation. This will be a challenge, but a good life experience all the same.

Oh and for everyone out there. I will be changing the URL to dylaninburkina.blogspot.com in the next couple of weeks. Need to give you folks time to adjust (and me as well).

1 comment:

  1. Dylan!!!

    What language do they speak there--will you still get to use your French skills? Also, IT? Are they giving you a curriculum/do you have computers/what is THAT going to look like? I'm so excited to hear about it! I'm also stoked that you'll be in a city, which means you're easier to connect with. Rockin. Love you cous, and miss you like crazy! GOOD LUCK and carpe diem!

    xoxo,
    jackie

    ReplyDelete