Thursday, July 9, 2009

The HQ

Hey everyone,
I just spent my first night at the Guinea HQ and I got to say it is not too shabby. There are certainly immediate differences between DC and Conakry (like for instance the bar we went to had no lights), but it is so cool. Right away at customs, which by the way is pure chaos, I recognized the developing country smell. For those who don't know it, is it one smell you will never forget. It's not bad or good, just distinct, and it's a smell that tells you welcome to the real world.

So far the people I have met are wonderful, new PCVs and old PCV's. Everyone is very young and for the most part saying the same thing, "What the hell am I doing here?" Have no fear everyone, I am totally safe and having a pretty good time. I love being able to speak my limited French, and hopefully I will be piling it on.

On Monday we head out to our training village where there won't be any internet access. I'll be there for 3 months so do not expect too many updates. Someone from our group is going out to buy cellphones tomorrow so as soon as I know my number I will post it here.

Later all, it's lunch time!

No comments:

Post a Comment