Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Adventure Comes to an End

I realize that in the development of this blog I have left the general "what am I doing" posts to more specific anecdotes detailing stories that have happened to me since I joined Peace Corps, but I must once again return to the less interesting "what am I doing" considering that at this moment what I am doing is rather important.

I am in the middle of COSing, which in non Peace Corps speak means the administrative process taken before officially being a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV). After tomorrow, July 1st 2011, I will no longer be a Volunteer but an alumni, a RPCV of Burkina Faso. It's a proud title that approximately 200,000 other Americans have acheived. With it (I hope) comes the newfound knowledge that I have gained after living in West Africa for two short years.

I have said my goodbyes to Tenkodogo, and am now in the process of doing the same with Peace Corps and other volunteers. It has been a wonderful service, a bittersweet moment, but alas more adventures await in the near and far future that I cannot wait to tackle. Where one door closes, others open.

I will write a far longer reflection blog when I return to the United States, but I just wanted to write a little to let everyone know that it's been fun writing for you and I hope you have enjoyed what you have read. Thanks to everyone who has supported me in the last two years; together it has been a wild ride.

This next week I will be flying to Kenya to see my father for what we hope to be an amazing safari experience. I will then fly home to see my mother and sister where I will most certainly beat my mother in a game of tennis before flying off to Belize to see my girlfriend for two weeks. I will more formally be home in the month of August with some family gatherings covering the month. Then comes September, where I will have to figure out my next steps.

But for now, I am in a good place in my life. I am proud of what I have accomplished, I have no regrets, and I am ready for the future!

Thank you everyone,
-Dylan

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I'm so proud of you for completing your service even with the many challenges throughout the past 2 years! See you in a couple days!

    ReplyDelete