Monday, January 10, 2011

First Blog Post of 2011

Happy New Year!-The First Blog of 2011


Afiss saying his version of Happy New Year to the camera.

As I was discussing with my parents during my two weeks home, when I look back upon my departure in 2009, 2011 seemed so far away. When you think of two years into the unknown, you imagine all the times that you took a major step in life and realize how far you have come. Leaving for Peace Corps, taking the leap to do something you never thought you could do, now reminds me of my departure to high school, and then college. Both times were nerve wracking emotional journeys that after a time became a normal part of my life.

Peace Corps has become like that. Leaving back in July 2009 was one of the most challenging experience I have yet to face. I still remember standing in front of the hotel in Philadelphia, the gathering point for many Peace Corps programs, and entering into a room with 16 other people who would quickly become some of my closest friends. Then having all that slashed as the Guinea program was slashed, and doing it again when I entered Burkina Faso. Philadelphia is now just a memory; so is Guinea and the evacuation to Mali. I have now entered what is potentially my final months in my Peace Corps journey which I hope to very proudly say one day that I was a volunteer in Peace Corps Burkina Faso.

As I said in my last blog entry way back in 2010, I was headed home for the United States to spend Christmas and the New Year with family and friends, including a great visit to DC by my girlfriend Kirstin. I had an excellent time home rediscovering what makes America so wonderful while at the same time reminding myself how great Burkina Faso is as well. I worried heavily about my reentry into Burkina, which was all to no avail, because this time departure to the “great unknown” was actually not at all unknown. The difference between this time and last time is that I know now what to expect, what my town has to offer me. Packing was so simple as it included only 18 packs of Top Ramen, 32 packs of instant oatmeal, 5 boxes of mac and cheese, toys, soccer balls, baseballs, and other things are so uniquely American. Everything else, yes that's right, everything else from clothes to furniture to books can all be found in Burkina. This is, after all, 2011 and internet is never as far away as your cell phone anywhere on the planet.


I am excited for this year. Not to be arrogant, but I judge my French to be bordering on fluency. Communication for me is no longer a problem, nor is living in Tenkodogo. It has all become a normal part of what is perhaps a very not normal life (Peace Corps Volunteers have all abandoned that life long ago). I hope to finish my service very strong with no regrets. My students seemed to be very excited to be back in my class, but that could also be because I am the biggest pushover ever. My fellow teachers and friends were also very excited to see me, everyone was all smiles on my first day of class on Friday. It was almost a surreal reentry, feeling almost like I have come “home,” though this version of home comes with the reality that it is only temporary, that a final and permanent departure looms over my head.

So what's on the menu for Tenkodogo 2011? More of the same. School, girl's basketball, boys leadership camp round 2, computer work, and of course other various activities. My friend organized a soccer team in his village and has asked me to coach, though coaching is just another term for supplying the ball and playing (though I have no problem with that) with a bunch of kids from a small village about 3 miles from town. I have a grandiose project in the work with Peace Corps, but I don't want to talk too much about it as it may never happen. But of course the biggest project, the one that comprises much of what we do here, is simply living a life that many people do not have the chance to live-and enjoying every minute of it.

Oh did I mention that I grew out a mustache?


Happy 2011 from Tenkodogo!

No comments:

Post a Comment